Sunday, September 21, 2008

Border with a Foot Fettish?

Well this is a new one on me. I've kept dogs for years, and this is the first time I've had a dog who will "attack your feet".

I know what you're thinking...this is a Border Collie, they are supposed to "nip your heels" (although you see this more in cattle dogs & kelpies...collies control more with their gaze), but this is a little different.

Our spoiled collie, "Unit" (I know...it wasn't my choice), sleeps on the bed with us. Where the foot fettish becomes a problem is when I stick my feet out from under the covers. The collie does not like this. She'll perk up & stare, then launch herself at my feet, giving out a sort of "bear growl" in the process. I'll swing my legs over the side of the bed so she can't get to the feet. If I try to bring my feet back on the bed, she'll let out her bear growl, lunge at the feet, then "nip" my calf as I swing my feet back on to the floor, letting out a bossy bark to let the feet "know" they are not welcomed. Do they really smell that bad to her?!? (The nip is more of a playful closed mouth on my leg).

I should get a video of this, it is pretty comical...

This is just another insert into my "Growing Up Border" blog of one of the strange things dogs may exhibit. I'm certain that Unit is just playing, since she only does this with me. And like a little kid, laughing just eggs her on.

What a fun & goofy Pup!

2 comments:

BorderWars said...

Two of my Borders love my stinky feet. They'll sit there for tens of minutes licking them clean, every crevice. I think it's probably a health mechanism to remove fungus or infection.

I don't have a good idea how to curb your problem, as I've only had one BC who had a nipping problem, and that was only for me (I was a kid at the time) and it was only for my white socks, and only when I was running around. And it turned out to be a phase that only lasted a few weeks.

If direct training doesn't work (i.e. leave it!) you might see how your pup responds to real sheep. It's a lot of fun taking them out and is certainly an outlet for those genes.

Blasé said...

Looks like you got "easily bored" with blogging..lol